Who doesn't love dessert? Welcome winter with this scrumptious and healthy carrot pudding.
- Carrots are great for us as they balance both the vata and kapha.
- Enjoy winters with this delicious carrot pudding.
Winter is almost upon us and in every Indian household, the onset of winter means one thing – lots and lots of gajar ka halwa. And apart from the taste, there are plenty of reasons for us to indulge in this dessert.
- Carrots balance both the vata and kapha doshas.
- They have an Ushna (hot) potency that helps keep you warm in the winters.
- They strengthen the cardiac muscles, help with Irritable bowel syndrome, boost ojas (immunity), and a number of other benefits.
Here is our healthy and Ayurvedic spin on this classic winter dessert – Carrot Pudding.
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 6 cups milk
- ¾ cup sugar or ½ cup honey
- ½ tsp elaichi (cardamom)
- ½ cup cream
- 1 cup nuts- kaju (cashews), badam (almonds), pista (pistachios)
- Take a pan with a thick and heavy bottom.
- Put 1 tbsp of ghee and let it heat.
- Ensure the carrots are finely grated and add them to the hot ghee. Sauté for 8-10 minutes, until the carrot becomes soft.
- Add the milk and let the mixture come to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Lower the heat, and let the mixture simmer for 45-60 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Once the mixture has thickened, add the sugar/honey and allow it to cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add the cream and powdered cardamom. Cook for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Finely chop the nuts.
- Take a small pan and heat the remaining 2 tbsp of ghee.
- Add the nuts to the ghee and sauté till they turn golden brown.
- Garnish the pudding with the nuts and serve warm.
To know more about healthy Ayurvedic eating and lifestyle, talk to a Jiva doctor today. Dial 0129-4040404 or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ under the CONNECT tab in Jiva Health App.