Have you ever experienced pain in your joints while climbing stairs or standing up? Or perhaps loud cracking sounds from your joints when you bend or stretch? If these symptoms sound familiar to you, you’re probably experiencing weakening joints.
The Ayurvedic Perspective
According to Ayurveda, joint pain is caused due to vata aggravation. Since vata is the dosha responsible for the movement of air around the body, it sometimes gets stuck in places like joints. Once, this vata gets stuck, it creates pockets where ama (toxins) can get accumulated. It Is this accumulation of ama that causes joint pain.
- A sedentary lifestyle.
- Old age.
- Mental disorders like depression.
- Unhealthy eating choices.
- Cold Climates.
- Abhyanga (daily self-massage) is the best way to get relief from joint pain. Use a medicated decoction of til oil (sesame seed oil), lahasun (garlic), ajwain (carom seeds) and adrak (ginger) to apply to your joints every day.
- Have a glass of warm milk with haldi (turmeric) every night. Turmeric pacifies vata and kindles the agni (digestive fire). A fired agni will mean that your food is better digested and no waste in the form is ama is accumulated.
- Drink a glass of warm water with saunf (fennel seeds) twice a day to get rid of excess ama.
- Include a routine of yoga and walking in your daily routine as it will keep the vata circulating through your body without getting accumulated at any one point.
For long-term maintenance of joint pain or to be free of it completely, you should consult a Jiva doctor. You can dial 0129-4040404 from your mobile phone or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ under the CONNECT tab in the Jiva Health App.