Nothing adds a taste boost to simple meals like pickles. A must in all homes, you can find pickle made with all sorts of ingredients. But have you ever heard of a haldi (turmeric) pickle?
According to Ayurveda, turmeric pickle not only adds flavour to your meals, it also improves your overall health. Respected for its medicinal properties, turmeric is beneficial for all three doshas. It has heating properties and pungent vipaka. It has numerous benefits, from improving digestion and intestinal activity and regulating stomach problems to being an antibiotic and an effective agent against diabetes, haemorrhoids, and skin problems. It also helps reduce stress and anxiety.
There, you have all the reasons you need to make a pot of turmeric pickle at home! Let’s get started, then.
- Fresh turmeric root (haldi) – 1 cup
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Black mustard seeds (sarso) – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – 1 pinch
- Pickle masala powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 2 pinch
- Thoroughly wash and dry turmeric root. Peel it and chop finely.
- Heat oil. Add sarso and hing. Keep stirring till the seeds pop. Take it off the heat and let it cool.
- Pour it over the chopped turmeric root.
- Add pickle masala powder and salt to it. Stir well.
- Pour it in an airtight jar and store in cool place.
This pickle stays good for up to 1 month. However, make sure not a drop of water gets into the pickle. It will cause fermentation and spoil the pickle.
To know more about an Ayurvedic diet and lifestyle, contact a Jiva doctor today. Dial 0129-4040404 or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ under the CONNECT tab in Jiva Health App.