Ayurveda recommends that children should start practising yoga from as young as 8 years old. Practising surya namaskar, nadi shodhana pranayama and gayatri mantra gives them clarity, focus, confidence and sound decision-making ability.
- Surya namaskara boosts immunity, improves concentration and positively affects the body and mind.
- Nadi shodhana pranayama stimulates mental clarity, makes mind alert and improves concentration.
- Gayatri Mantra calms the mind, improves concentration and brings one closer to the divine.
Parenting is a challenging task, because you’re constantly trying to ensure that you’re able to bring your kids in a balanced manner. However, there are many ways to give your child a holistic development. Yoga improves your child’s growth and development.
According to Ayurveda, once your child is eight years old, introduce them to these practices of yoga. Teach your kids how to perform surya namaskar, nadi shodhana pranayama and Gayatri Mantra to give them clarity, focus, confidence and sound decision-making ability. Gayatri mantra enhances creativity, clarity, and insight, and surya namaskar and nadi shodhana pranayama improve physical and mental abilities.
Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
This is a sequence of 12 poses that boosts immunity, improves concentration and has a host of other health benefits. It also positively affects the body and mind.
- It is best performed on an empty stomach in mornings.
- Repeat 11 times for maximum benefits.
Nadi Shodhana Pranayama (Alternate nostril breathing)
This stimulates mental clarity and makes mind alert. It also improves concentration and helps balance the brain’s left and right hemispheres.
- Practice in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Sit in sukhasana pose (crossed-leg).
- Press one nostril with thumb and inhale through the other nostril.
- Press your other nostril with ring finger and exhale.
- Repeat for 5-10 minutes.
“Om Bhur bhuva svaha
Tat savitur vareiniam
Bhargo devasya dheemahi
Dhiyo yo nah prachodayat”
- Chant the Gayatri Mantra every morning.
- It calms the mind, improves concentration, and enhances creativity.
- Recite it with your eyes closed and concentrate on the words.
- Repeat for as many times as it feels natural.
These are the baby steps to give your child a better childhood and a healthy life. To know more about parenting, contact a Jiva doctor today. Dial 0129-4040404 or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ under the CONNECT tab in Jiva Health App.