Katu rasa, or the pungent taste, is used to open up the shrotas, alleviate allergies, reduce fat and decrease swelling. To enjoy these qualities, try this recipe of yummy spinach sabzi and add it to your day to day meals.
- Katu rasa, or the pungent taste, balances the kapha dosha.
- Quick to make, this spinach gravy is a delicious addition to any meal.
According to Ayurveda, every food items contains varying proportions of six rasas (tastes)- one of them being the pungent taste (katu). This taste has numerous benefits such as decreasing swelling, reducing fat, easing nasal infections and opening up of the shrotas (channels).
Make this yummy Spinach Gravy to enjoy the benefits of Katu rasa
- A bunch of spinach
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ½ tsp adrak (ginger)
- ½ tsp jeera (cumin seed)
- ½ tsp dhaniya (coriander)
- ½ tsp haldi (turmeric)
- 1 cup dahi (yoghurt)
- Clean the spinach thoroughly and chop it finely.
- Take a frying pan and heat the ghee in it.
- Add the spices and saute for about a minute.
- Next, add the spinach and stir well for another minute.
- Pour the water. Allow it to cook for approximately 5 minutes till the spinach is cooked through.
- Take it off the gas and stir in the yoghurt.
- Serve warm!
Katu rasa helps reduce kapha but increases both vata and pitta. If had in excess, it damages breast milk, fat stores, the connective tissues around joints, and the Shukra dhatu (reproductive tissue). It also irritates the digestive tract destroys the good bacteria in it, so make sure you don’t overindulge in pungent foods.
For more lifestyle tips and dietary advice visit the Jiva Ayurveda website, or to consult a Jiva doctor, you can dial 0129-4040404 from your mobile phone or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ under the CONNECT tab in the Jiva Health App.