Ayurveda places a lot of importance on diet. The right kind of foods can help in the formation of dhatus and boost immunity , while successfully eliminating toxins from the body. However, the wrong food can do a lot of harm to the body.
The Ayurvedic term ‘Samyoga’ refers to the balanced and proper combination of the food that we eat. Some of these combinations are good for us while others aren’t.
Here are some combinations of food that you should avoid
- Never have milk with sour fruits, bananas, cherries, and melons. These combinations cause the agni (digestive fire) to weaken, slowing down the digestive process.
- Fruits should be eaten alone as they are usually digested quickly. Any other food that is eaten with them will take longer to digest, hampering the agni.
- Vegetables like potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant are slightly hard to digest and sometimes disturb the doshas. They should not be eaten with cheese, since it is heavy, oily and also difficult to digest. Mixing these two is bad for the agni.
The combinations of foods you should eat
- Start your meals with foods that are easier to digest and end it with the ones that are harder to digest. So, eat your rice before your lentils and vegetables before the nuts.
- Make your stomach’s work easier by eating only two to three main ingredients in a meal.
- Eat protein rich foods like lentils and beans like chickpeas with rice and leafy greens, as they’re easier to digest.
Make your food choices with the above guidelines in mind. And for more more information on diet and nutrition, speak to a Jiva doctor today. Dial 0129-4040404 or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ under the CONNECT tab in the Jiva Health App.