जायन्ते नेत्रभागेषु रोगाः परम दारुणाः।।
Meaning: Doshas become imbalanced because of many reasons and rise to the eyes, destroying the sensitive nerves and causing different eye problems.
Glaucoma is a disease that begins as a simple vision problem that people often tend to avoid, but soon it becomes so dangerous that it completely blinds the person. In India, glaucoma is the second most common reason behind blindness.
The human eye is an amazing feat of nature that has the ability to see things and interpret colour, distance and size of things. The eyes also have limits. An average human eye can endure pressures up to 21 mm of Hg. If the pressure increases further, the eyes become damaged gradually until vision is completely gone.
Reasons of Glaucoma
Glaucoma is very common in people above the age of 40, but in some cases it has been observed even in children and new-borns. Glaucoma can happen because of diabetes, high blood pressure or some form of heart disease, also it can be genetic.
If you observe the structure of an eye, just behind the cornea is a chamber that contains a special liquid known as aqueous humour which protects the eyes and nourishes it too. There are minute vessels that manage the pressure on the eyeball. In glaucoma, these vessels become damage and the pressure on the eyeball increases. Over time, this becomes the cause of blindness.
Types of Glaucoma
- Chronic (Open Angle) Glaucoma
- Normal Tension Glaucoma
- Acute (Angle Closure) Glaucoma
- Secondary Glaucoma
Symptoms of Glaucoma
- Reduction in the field of vision
- Seeing multicolour haloes
- Blurred vision
- Pain and redness
- Watery eyes
Treatment of Glaucoma
- Increase amount of vitamin A in your diet
- Spinach and other green leafy vegetables are helpful in this condition
- Triphala, Punarnava, Amla are good Ayurvedic herbs that are recommended in Glaucoma
- Apply paste of Triplaha, Lodhra, Mulethi & Nagarmotha on the eye lids
- Drop freshly squeezed pure amla juice on the eyes
For complete diagnosis and personalized treatment of Glaucoma talk to Jiva Ayurveda doctor today.