According to Ayurveda, every food items contains varying proportions of six rasas (tastes)- one of them being the salty taste (lavana). Salty foods increase appetite and aid digestion. They help build new cells in the body and are effective at removing blockages in the shrotas (channels).
Enjoy the salty taste with this Fresh Buttermilk
- ¼ cup cold dahi (yoghurt)
- ¾ cup cold water
- ¼ tsp jeera powder (cumin)
- ¼ tsp dhaniya powder (coriander)
- 2 pudina leaves (mint)
- Salt to taste
- Put the yoghurt in a blender and blend it for 3-5 minutes till it takes on a creamy texture.
- Add the cold water to the yoghurt and blend on low for another 3-5 minutes.
- As you blend it, a foam will keep forming on top. Remove this foam with a spoon. Blend again and repeat till it resembles a watery consistency.
- Add all the spices and stir well by hand.
- Garnish with mint leaves and enjoy.
Lavana rasa aggravates kapha and pitta dosha but decreases vata. However, If you have too much salt in your diet, you put yourself at risk of skin problems such as leucoderma, itchy skin, wrinkles and balding. It also makes you susceptible to poisons, making you prone to swelling and uterine disorders. So, make sure you don’t have too much salty food.
For more lifestyle tips and dietary advice, visit the Jiva Ayurveda website. To consult a Jiva doctor, dial 0129-4040404 from your mobile phone or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ under the CONNECT tab in the Jiva Health App.