Diverticulitis is a bowel disease that causes inflammation in the colon. Some of the symptoms include fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. Mentioned within are a few home remedies that can help reduce the symptoms of Diverticulitis
- Barley is anti inflammation and soothes the spasms
- Brown rice is rich in fibre and aids digestion
Diverticulitis is a group of conditions that affect the digestive tract, in particular the colon. Diverticulitis is the final stage of what is called a Diverticula. Diverticula are pouches that form when the weak spots on the intestinal wall swells outward. These inflamed pouches get bacterial infections, which results in Diverticulitis.
Some of the symptoms include fever, nausea, vomiting, constipation, abdominal pains with cramps and chills. Low-fibre diet or a high fat diet is one of the main causes of diverticular disease. It causes imbalance of the vata and the pitta dosha, which results in the impairment of Agni. This then leads to constipation.
Here are a few home remedies that can help
Barley is anti-inflammatory and helps in reducing the swelling around the colon
- Add half a handful of barley flour, flakes, or grits to vegetable soup or stew.
- Barley can also be kneaded into a dough and made into roti to be had with your meals.
Brown rice is rich in fibre. It is easy to digest and it calms the inflammation and spasms that occur in the colon.
- Replace your regular white rice with brown rice.
- Mix it with vegetables for a stir fry.
- Can be consumed in place of oatmeal.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to a bowl of brown rice and eat it as a desert
- The water used to boil the rice can be used for tea as well
For more advice on Diverticulitis, consult a Jiva doctor today. Dial 0129-4040404 or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ under the CONNECT tab in Jiva Health App.