Very often, people with diabetes have to deal with some type of skin disorders. Diabetes affects the sweat gland of the body and typically reduces the perspiration of the skin. In this article, we’re discussing a few tips that can actively help avoid skin related problems.
- Hot baths dry the skin. Avoid them.
- Moisturize your skin immediately after taking a bath.
- People with dry, itchy skin should use Use mild and gentle skin products.
- Use a lip balm or petroleum jelly to soothe dryness.
It’s not uncommon for diabetics to face some type of skin disorder during the course of their illness. This is because diabetes affects the sweat gland of the body and typically reduces the perspiration of the skin. Furthermore, elevated sugar levels damage the nerves and result in a reduced sense of feeling. This affects the ability of an individual to heal simple wounds. This can lead to skin problems like a diabetic rash, diabetic blisters, rashes, and even fungal infections.
Mentioned below are a few skincare tips that can help take care of the sensitive skin that diabetics have and reduce the problems they face:
- Avoid hot baths as it dries the skin out. Instead, opt for a cold shower. It locks the moisture with the skin and reduces stress. `
- Moisturize your skin immediately after taking a bath. Massage your body with essential oils 2-3 times a week. This locks the moisture in and reduces itchiness
- Use mild, gentle and chemical-free toiletries to avoid itchy and dry skin.
- During winters, the cold leaves the skin dry or inflamed. Avoid this by using a humidifier. If you don’t want to buy the machine, you can create a similar effect at home very easily. Put a big pot of water on a medium flame for a few hours. You can even add spices such as turmeric (haldi) and herbs such as ginger (adrak) to this water. Basking in this steam helps your skin recover from damage and restores moisture.
- Because of the damaged nerves, your skin is extremely vulnerable to cuts and burns. Apply sterile gauze pads even on the smallest wounds to avoid infection.
- Dry and chapped lips can be as harmful as an open wound. Use a lip balm or petroleum jelly to soothe dryness.
For more advice about more Ayurvedic diet and lifestyle, consult a Jiva doctor today. Dial 0129-4040404 or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ under the CONNECT tab in Jiva Health App.