Ulcerative Colitis occurs when the lining of the large intestine or the rectum (or both) get inflamed. This creates sores called ulcers on the lining of your colon. The inflammation causes your bowel to move its contents faster and empty itself frequently.
The symptoms vary from mild to severe, the most common ones being bloody diarrhea, rectal bleeding, mouth ulcers, and abdominal cramps and pain. Ayurveda recommends the following asanas that help relieve Ulcerative colitis
The Bridge Pose (Setu Bandhasana)
It helps improve metabolism, digestion and also calms the brain. It also helps reduce back pain, removes discomfort in your back and provides instant relief.
How to do it
- Lay on your back and fold your legs in a way that they are hip width apart.
- Press your feet onto the ground, inhale, and lift your hips.
- Press down the arms and shoulders to lift the chest.
- Inhale and hold your breath for 5-8 seconds.
- Exhale. Transition back into your original position.
- Repeat 4-5 times
The Wind Relieving Pose (Pawanmuktasana)
This pose specifically helps the internal organs of the digestive system.
How to do it
- Lie down flat with your feet together.
- Place your arms beside your body.
- Inhale and bring your knees toward your chest
- Press your thighs to the abdomen while exhaling.
- Hold the asana and increase the pressure on your chest with every breathe.
- Repeat 4-5 times and relax. Roll to your side.
If you do these asanas regularly, you will notice decreased abdominal pain and diarrhea. However for long term management of Ulcerative colitis or to be free of it completely, talk to a Jiva doctor today. Dial 0129-4040404 or click on ‘Speak to a Doctor’ from the Connect Tab in the Jiva Health App.